- Award-winning Land Rover Defender to play vital role as a support vehicle at the world’s toughest adventure race – the Red Bull X-Alps 2021
- A fleet of Defender 110 models will transport athletes, medical crew and support staff throughout the challenge, over 770 miles of alpine terrain
- The 4x4 will be a home-away-from-home for participants, who will sleep onboard using the bespoke Autohome roof tent1 developed for the Defender 110
- 12-day competition combines hiking, ultra-running, mountaineering and paragliding across five countries – Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and France
- Land Rover has more than 73 years of expedition heritage, making it the perfect official vehicle partner for the extreme Red Bull X-Alps
- The 2022 Defender model range will go on sale in the U.S. in summer 2021, priced from $47,700(2); Configure yours at www.LandRoverUSA.com
The award-winning Land Rover Defender will demonstrate its capability and durability as a support vehicle for the extreme Red Bull X-Alps. As official vehicle partner, Land Rover will provide a fleet of Defender 110s to support the world’s toughest adventure race.
Red Bull X-Alps athletes will negotiate more than 745 miles of demanding alpine landscape in up to 12 days, from June 20 to July 2, 2021. Each of the 32 competitors will combine hiking, ultra-running, mountaineering and paragliding in a true test of human endurance and stamina. On a typical day, the athletes can expect to hike over 31 miles with vertical ascents of up to 5,000m, burning as many as 6,000 calories.
The Land Rover brand’s most capable and durable 4x4 will provide transport and shelter from the ever-changing conditions, while carrying vital supplies and equipment. The rugged 4x4s will come kitted with Autohome Roof Tents(1) to aid athletes and crew members in their much-needed recovery, providing a safe and comfortable place to rest.
Seven of the athletes will be supported by Land Rover, including six-time Red Bull X-Alps winner Christian Maurer of Switzerland. Joining him are Red Bull X-Alps veterans Paul Guschlbauer (Austria), Gavin McClurg (USA), Tobias Grossrubatscher (Italy) and Markus Anders (Germany), who have participated in 11 races between them. There will also be debuts for Laurie Genovese (France) and Théo de Blic (France) as part of #TeamLandRover.
Land Rover is synonymous with endurance adventures and the Defender will play a vital role in the Red Bull X-Alps challenge, supporting the competitors and race organizers as they battle the elements across the 1,238km course. Its unstoppable capability and practical cabin mean it promises to be one constant throughout the 12-day event that participants will be able to rely on come rain or shine.
The role of support vehicle will see crew members test the Defender vehicle’s expedition credentials to the extreme. With a maximum payload of up to 1,984lbs, dynamic roof load of 370lbs(3) and static of 661lbs, each vehicle will be loaded with equipment and supplies. Terrain Response® 2 technology – including world-first Configurable Terrain Response – will allow the drivers to fine-tune the vehicle to suit their driving preferences and the conditions.
Accessories including Portable Rinse System, Exterior Side-Mounted Gear Carriers and Integrated Air Compressors will combine with the Defender vehicle’s integrated 4G Wi-Fi connectivity and the Autohome Roof Tents(1) to give competitors everything they need to rest and recover properly at the end of each day and to complete the epic event.
Following its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2019, Defender has won more than 58 international awards, including the 2021 World Car Design of the Year title at the annual World Car Awards.
The 2022 Defender model range will go on sale in the U.S. in summer 2021, priced from $47,700(2). Configure yours at www.LandRoverUSA.com
Watch the race unfold: www.redbullxalps.com/livetracking